Changes and the real impact

Havoc
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

Am sitting here thinking about to cryo the lot. Looking at the "new changes" and I see the total absence of orange. After all the hullaballo to find that these aren't even addressed is somewhat perplexing. Kinda like to hear the hows and whys. and to know what happened to orange. Seems the breeding has been changing like toilet paper. And why to trust it now. This is certainly not giving me any warm and fuzzy feeling. Why shouldn't I just cryo them all. I'm certainly not very happy anymore, and I'm begining to feel my pocket has been picked...

Voodoo Pevensey
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

Let me start off by saying how much I hate giving any kind of negative feedback when I understand how hard all of this is to do and how much work goes into this.
A few concerns I have with the changes:
1. Introducing a new color is great, and I love that the choice is yellow. However, I see it is under the common list. That was one of the problems with orange, it was too common. There's not much of a challenge to getting a new color when it is available in a starter pack. It kind of removes a bit of the excitement factor.
2. Just my personal opinion, but I think simplifying the breeding is the wrong way to go. It will make all of the work folks have done to create a good lineage useless. It makes all of the mossms that people have held onto for future use, because of that good parent/grandparent in the background, useless. I think that change in the breeding will hurt the secondary market even more as well as the creators' pockets. The way the breeding works right now, if I cross two moonstars and get a solid blue, I keep that baby because I can work on pulling that moonstars back out larer. With the proposed changes there is no point in me holding onto and paying to feed that baby and no point trying to sell that baby as an offspring. Maybe I am looking at that part the wrong way and there is some thought process to how that change will help things? Maybe I am misunderstanding how it will work?

One thing I am excited about is the new blends. Those I can not wait to see.

Hamr
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

Orange was never supposed to come back.. it was supposed to become a rare thing eventually as their used up etc.

How ever.. this new update is the biggest disappointment since I started breedables in the chicken times.

I was growing my babies to adult to prepare.. but with this update feels like someone kicked me down from all the hard work.
And all this just cause 5 or so ***** can't understand how to do the breeding.. how come some of us could make perfect lines if there was no system.

Horribly disappointed and feel cheated, or pick pocketed. Sad day.

Richie Carami
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

I will state Hamr i am sorry you feel this way but you as well as a few others are not looking at the big picture. Traits and lots more that will be coming as well your just looking at the breeding side of things such as color. please do not dish it till you see what is coming out i have 100% faith in the mossms myself and honestly not everyone can be made happy all the time i have learned that in my many years with breedabels so again i am sorry you feel this way

Hamr
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

The big picture. Is that all our big perfect lines are now WORTHLESS in other words all the previous time we used on these are flushed in the toilet. They can make as many nice things they want in future. But will just be another breedable that I doubt I will start over from scratch after using all that linden and time on these that are now worth 0. See it how you wish. only having parents count.. makes all my 373 old mossms a waste of time and money.

Richie Carami
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

srry you feel that way hamr wish you the best of luck

Progenitor
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, we didn't discuss orange. Orange is not going to be released on any planets, as we have promised. Orange is only going to be carried forward through whatever existing orange mossms are out there. I'd expect this is what you'd want. Nothing changes with regard to orange.

Asymmetrical
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago
Edited 10 years, 8 months ago by Asymmetrical

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We appreciate that you've taken the time to express your thoughts even though they may not be wholly positive.

Regarding orange: Orange was introduced as a special event and is not going to be reintroduced. If you have Mossms with orange it will pass. If you do not have orange, you will not be able to get it without buying/trading with someone that does. Apologies for not addressing it in the news article.

Regarding yellow: We believe that players in both spectrums (casual and hard core) need new content. Yellow as a common color is so that the more casual players can experience new content too. There will be more colors down the line that may be more difficult to obtain but this color is for the casual players.

Regarding Value: There is a blaringly obvious problem with our game. Like it or not, what we had was not right for this audience. Trust me, we weren't happy about that either but it is is what it is. We could remain attached to our original ideas, wave the white surrender flag, and let it continue down the slow painful death track that its been on or we can keep fighting. We've chosen to keep fighting. In order to succeed we absolutely have to change the system. I personally believe that the simplified breeding system combined with the new collections and trait rewards that are coming in phase 2 will restore value to your existing Mossms. Phase 3 will bring sports and new traits. All of these things are vital to our recovery. Leaving it as is will not restore value to your existing Mossms.

One final thought, it is totally normal for online gaming experiences to change. SL has changed exponentially since I first arrived here in 2006 and World of Warcraft looks nothing like it did 10 years ago. In order for us to stay relevant we have to change too. It is our hope that you will all be here with us as we evolve but we also understand that sometimes humans don't do change well.

Cilia
Sept. 17, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago

You simplified the breeding system even more than I feared. There will be no color that is not massively overbred to the point of worthlessness. And this will happen almost immediately when the color is introduced. While blends will be a little less predictable, they too wll be overbred almost instantly.

I don't think it was the breeding system that has people telling you what they think with their feet. I believe it was more to do with traits (or the lack of traits) and variability in things like ears, tails, eyes, etc. Long fur and skin are not very distinguishable, nor was curly. What is the Mossm equivalent to Long Long from the beginnings of one of the more widely bred breedables? There needs to be something to work for in the breedable itself.

Putting all colors into the starters is just going to make buying starters an instant lottery. It won't take breeding expertise to get a color, it will only take more lindens.

What about the concept of "hidden" traits? Are starters going to offer anything other than what they show? Sometimes suprises are good!

I know you all are trying to make Mossms the best they can be and are working hard to do that. I just have to tell you honestly. I have been sticking it out, although i put most of my mossms in cryo. Spending lindens to feed with nothing to get back was taking its toll. Instant starve broke the camel's back. I believe there was a robot type breedable that had instant starve, which quickly lost me. It only took a couple of instant starves to cause me to walk away.

I appreciate your informing us of your plans. I only wish I could get more excited about them. Phase 1 certainly is not peeking my interests much. What ever happened to all the statistics that are currently not active? Nothing in the plans said anything about those.

I am not out yet. Thankfully you have the cryo ability, or I would likely be gone. I will see what the updates really bring to the table. I like that Mossms are different, however, different shouldn't negate the parts of other breedables that breeders like.

Respectfully,

Cilia

Asymmetrical
Sept. 18, 2013
10 years, 8 months ago
Edited 10 years, 8 months ago by Asymmetrical

Hi Cilia,

Regarding colors: Colors are always going to be the easiest trait to work with. They always have been and always will be. Blends were always "where it was at" and for the immediate future that will remain true. What we are doing over the coming weeks; however, is responding to everyone's pleas for more traits. New traits will begin releasing in Phase 2 of our revamp.

Breeding System: I think you may be confusing simplification of process with easy to achieve. This revamp makes things that are supposed to be rare actually become rare but easier to understand how to get the end result.

Stats: stats and skills are part of Phase 3 and sports.

Other Breedables: I'm interested in understanding what you think we have right now that is a positive thing that other breedables have that we are taking away in the coming update.

You must login to reply.