Particle Color Power Ups - How They Work

Asymmetrical
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago
Edited 10 years, 3 months ago by Asymmetrical

I believe I am the one that is guilty of telling everyone that using a particle color power up during breeding resulted in a 100% chance of passing any particle if the particle existed in relevant ancestry. Durgama discovered last night that it didn’t work as I described. So, I checked with Progenitor who checked the code and it turns out I was wrong!

The 100% chance to pass when using color changer power ups only applies if the parents of the soon to be newborn have particles. I confused this with another concept which is passing the particles without a color changing power up and I apologize profusely for mixing that up.

I can confirm that we did not make any changes to this system, I just misspoke and I’m terribly sorry for that. Perhaps a dunking booth and throwing pies is in order?

Since this is so confusing, even for myself it seems, I’d like to propose a change that would make particle color changing a much more simple process and also help keep the secondary market value up for a longer period of time. I would love to hear your thoughts on my idea.

First some background: Particle color changing was something we threw in for fun. We wanted you to have an opportunity to customize your mossms in a reasonably inexpensive way. It was not intended to be a cheap way to get particles to pass but the way we implemented it thats how it turned out. I worry that this could lead to over saturation and/or devaluing them the same way that breeding moonstars on mossomopolis did back in our earlier days.

So, my proposal is that we change particles color changers so that you would apply the power-ups to an existing mossm that already has particles rather than during breeding. Under this proposal, particles could still pass on any planet if they exist in the relevant ancestry and the 100% guarantee would only exist when a particle type power up was used during breeding.

If we leave the system as it is, the particles will soon flood the market and I’m not sure that’s good for any of us.

Thoughts?

Jiminy Kling
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago

Oh! I think i like that idea!!

Let me resume it, see if i understood well :
1- We could use a color power up to change the color of particles on a mossm that have particles already
2 - If you breed a mossm with particles (must be both parents or only one would work?) and use a color power up, we are 100% guaranted to get particles on the baby
3 - If we breed a mossm showing no particles but having it in ancestry, we might have a chance to get the particles on the baby but, its not guaranted (even if we use a color power up).

If i got it right, yes i do think its way much better that way!

Asymmetrical
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago
Edited 10 years, 3 months ago by Asymmetrical

Hi Jiminy, You're almost right but not quite. I'm proposing that we take particle color changing out of breeding entirely and make the change on alive mossms only. So, remove your #2 above and you got it!

If we made this change, you would still get 100% guarantee when you use a particle type power-up (sonar, shizzle etc...), we wouldn't change that part.

Worth noting, particles, shine and glow were always intended to be moderate level content - not too easy not too hard so it will always be able to pass on any planet even if we make this change.

Assie
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago
Edited 10 years, 3 months ago by Assie

Hm, I have the idea it's already hard enough, unless you have the splurt for colorpowerup, and getting splurt isn't easy. I would leave it as it is. The chance of passing particles is not so big as I see it.

Davedawgg
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago

I actually have the Dunk tank in my sim out next to Auction House. (Come by and try it) LOL, I think your idea is great.
Maybe a way to show it in the ancestry/visibly IDK ? I send so many to space ill forget what one has it and go OOPS.
I just did a Reduce Solid color one today and got a elemental Puff LOL so is still by chance?

Assie
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago

But, as I understand it, then it will be only passing by chance. So what is the value of that? I wouldn't quickly buy a mossm with a small chance of passing particles.

Cilia
Feb. 14, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago

Aysmmetrical, your idea is probably the best way to make it work and not cause particles to flood the market. It makes sense that a color power up would only give you the color change on a mossm that already has particles. You will be balancing the system, although some will accuse you of using the nerf bat. LOL!

Pebbles Blake
Feb. 15, 2014
10 years, 3 months ago

Im getting heart particles to pass really easily with out the colour changer, i have used it twice , just cause i had the splurt left over, the chances of affording more colour changes anytime soon are really low. I dont know much about the market as i dont tend to buy any, but last time i went looking for some it was really hard to find any, I hope the market on here makes it easier for those loooking for specifics. But for me mossms are for fun and id rather send it to space than sell it.

Im also begining to find the particles slightly annoying. cute as they are. a screen full of hearts makes it hard to see any thing else. an off switch would be great!

Tmr
Feb. 17, 2014
10 years, 2 months ago

It already is really hard to get enough splurt to realise your goals, why should we make it even more difficult to reach them? Most players don't have very many mossms and will not be able to power up anymore at all. Or do I understand totally wrong?

Asymmetrical
Feb. 17, 2014
10 years, 2 months ago

Hi TMR. This is about color changing power-ups and whether it makes better sense to change the particle colors during breeding or after birth. It would affect how particles pass once you've gotten them but would not change how you get them.

You must login to reply.