Mossms walking

Tasia Rhode
Jan. 20, 2018
6 years, 2 months ago

Hello everyone! I am new to Mossms. I set up a spot for them in my ship in the sky. Following the directions on this site, I made a walkable floor (unlinked) and walls set to static obstacle. However, the Mossms still walk through them. What is it that I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Asymmetrical
Jan. 22, 2018
6 years, 2 months ago

It's actually hard to say without looking at your setup but I'll do my best to guess at what's going on based on what I see most often.

First, the difference between static pathfinding and dynamic pathfinding is important:

Dynamic pathfinding allows you to take one object and have it move around on it's own, detecting other objects (usually by running in to them) and then automatically moving around the objects. This is very resource intensive and most sim owners don't even enable this feature on their sims. Mossms are not programmed this way on purpose. It would be devastating to a sims performance to have several moving objects constantly moving and banging in to things.

Static pathfinding allows you to create a path that you'd like an object to move on as it travels from point A to point B. The objects that are doing the pathfinding do not detect other objects they simply walk the predefined path. So, in the case of Mossms, pathfinding should be used to tell a Mossm what path it should take to get from one environment to another. If there is not a path defined or no walkable surface from one environment to another the Mossms will take the shortest possible route and this results in them walking through walls.

Most people try to "quarantine" mossms to a certain area. For example; they may want all of their furniture in their house and then have additional environments outside like the planters. Their goal is to keep some Mossms inside and some Mossms outside by using a wall to stop their movement. Unfortunately, this does not work. Mossms are programmed to find an environment and move to it. If you have a Mossm in the house and there is an environment outside of the house in detection range it will go to that environment. If there is a path defined it will use the path. If there is no path defined, it will take the shortest possible route. If you want them to move in and out of the house but not through the walls you'll need to build a path (walkable surface) through the door. Granted they won't open the door but it will be a bit more realistic.

My head is still a little fuzzy from the flu so I'm hoping this makes sense. If not let me know and I'll try to help further.

Tasia Rhode
Jan. 22, 2018
6 years, 2 months ago

I hope you are feeling better Asymmetrical! I heard the flu was horrible this year :( I think I now know my mistake. I must have misread the directions on the website. I thought I was supposed to cover the whole entire floor in a walkable surface. So then are you saying I just put a "walkway" prim down, and make it walkable surface?
With all this in mind, is there a need then to have an obstacle wall as defined on the website?

If you like, I can teleport you to my setup. Just let me know when you're on :D Thanks!

Asymmetrical
Jan. 25, 2018
6 years, 2 months ago

Hi Tasia,

Unfortunately, you do have to define obstacles otherwise the navmesh will interpret everything around your path as a walkable surface. When you look at that navmesh, anything that is green is interpreted as "walkable." The obstacles, create holes in the navmesh and the Mossms are forced to walk around the holes. When viewing the navmesh you can tell where the holes are by looking at view/test. You'll seen black where the hole is and the holes are defined by your static obstacles.

You must login to reply.