How many people breed Mossms?

Asymmetrical
July 18, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago
Edited 10 years, 10 months ago by Asymmetrical

Hunter, I made those Mossms for our RFL display this past weekend. Our display prominently featured the planet Faunarosa so I whipped up some neat Mossms that stood on the sidelines waving at the track runners. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to learn that as one of the creators I can make whatever I want! I'll give you an A for effort but you'll need to debunk the legitimacy of our DNA system some other way! *snickers*

As for the old way of breeding. We never said it was bad. It was clearly very popular and lots of people liked it. What we did say is that we wanted to do something different and there isn't anything wrong with that either. Our goal was to make a game with a breedable component rather than just a breedable and that is what we are focusing on. I'm so glad to hear you'll still be with us for the introduction of stats and skills.

Mrs Hunter Beorn
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

I love Snickers and look forward to the game, I never doubt that you are invested in making it cooler and cooler. I am venting, this is frustrating as hell.

http://mossms.com/p/Hunter.beorn/mossm/Agnese/

Now if I came out with that light blue one you would be able to hear me scream across the planet. I dont see it, I just dont. Call me dense, I dont care, I just do not understand why there isnt a bit more predictability. Are we still supposed to weigh in the great great greater grandparents? I see black solid there.
Okay here is what I anticipated, a carbon copy of any of what I see there, a mixture of a solid with a pattern, preferably pink or purple. Richie (the breeder of the father mossm) demonstrated some predictability with his tiger pattern.
http://mossms.com/p/Hunter.beorn/mossm/%2A%2A%2ACulley.Muse/

Im just not buying a lottery ticket today and that is all there is to it

Jiminy Kling
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

Both parents here are solids, so a solid from them is not big suprise Mrs Hunter. Maybe you should try to mix more, like one solid + one blend, to get the results you hoping for. If you breed that pair 10 times, you will probably pull some blends from them thanks to the ancestry but you cannot hope for that pair to make that a rule. The two solids parents count a lot in the pool gene.

Aizik
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

Looking at the link http://mossms.com/p/Hunter.beorn/mossm/Agnese/
I myself would think at BEST the mossy to come out would of been a grad.. maybe black YES but a solid black NO ..
looking at Homerus..then his parents counted .. ( didn't go look at all the others parents) If that is the case then the ones that show on the page is just a MAYBE mix..? I have been making babies and getting what I think will come out about 95% of the time the "duds" SOMETIMES then throw up something good but maybe only 10% of the time I try them 1x I mostly dump them tho and just try my idea out with a different set.. and hope again. I think there needs to be a BIT better primmer on the hows and whys of the trees ..I do genealogy real life and get the gen thing there really well here ..it seems a bit more toss up ..like there is a clue we are missing?

Zev Luv
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes we just do not get what we want.. there was a black count in your tree and you had the odds to get it... not what you wanted but I see where it came from. It is a nice tree Hunter. I think looking at the tree actually would had more a chance to be a solid blue so your lucky is a black even. Sure I could be wrong but that is what I see.

Zermit
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

blue is the color of planet 1, the planet can still plausibly make an all other color line have a blue,

one of and the strong blends on planet 1 is solid. so getting a solid none blue but the color of the line is a normal occurrence if u think about it

Asymmetrical
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

Zermit, you are usually spot on but this time you don't have it quite right.

Right now there is no color to be gained from Planet 1. The only trait available from planet 1 is gradient. Blue does not come from planet 1 it only comes from ancestry. As example, lets say you mated a green mossm that has nothing but green in the ancestry (like this one: http://mossms.com/p/Asymmetrical/mossm/Bronnie/) and you mated it with another one like it on planet 1, you absolutely could not ever get a blue mossm from that pairing.

http://mossms.com/content/planets/

Asymmetrical
July 19, 2013
10 years, 10 months ago

Hunter, we've created something radically different from what people are used to so it stands to reason it will take a while to make sense of it. That doesn't make you (or any one else) dense. I obviously can't explain DNA in a single forum thread but since we're on the topic now let me try to help you understand it at a high level.

Mossm's DNA system is a lot like breeding pure-bred cats or dogs in real life. The basic premise is that you pair genes that you want with other genes that you want and you remove genes that you don't want. The more similar genes you have when breeding the more likely you are to produce the offspring that you want. Here are some real world examples for you to consider:

* Lets say you wanted to breed dogs for bomb sniffing. You'd start by finding two dogs that have a long family history of successful bomb sniffing. The more bomb sniffers in the ancestry the better! A Belgian Malinois is a likely candidate for this type of work. If you were to mix a Greyhound with your Belgian Malinois you may not get the result you were hoping for because Greyhounds are fast runners not bomb sniffers. This mix may be OK at running or OK at bomb sniffing but it will likely not be great at either. A breeder would never mix these two breeds.
* If you wanted sheep herding dogs you might mate two Border Collies together. You'd look for Border Collies that have a long family history of not eating the sheep. You'd probably not mix an Irish Setter with your Border Collie since these are hunting dogs. Who knows what would happen to your sheep if you did this!
* If you wanted to breed Russian Blue cats as show cats you'd certainly not breed them with a Main Coon! Can you imagine what that would look like? It certainly wouldn't win any best of breed awards!

Mossms are not really all that different. The more "pure" your blood line is the more likely you are to get what you want. In the beginning, that makes it tough because you first have to get something cool then you'll need to pair that with something else cool. That means you need to plan ahead and possibly wait for the right pairing. You might need to save good a Mossm until you find a suitable mate. It is likely that you'll need to do lots of trading or paying for studs to build great blood lines if you lack the time or patience to build them yourselves.

Much like the RL examples above getting the best Mossm means you can't mix breeds! So for example, breeding a cheetah and solid on Toxito is not the best approach to getting a tiger. It COULD happen but the tiger is a random draw from lots of other possibilities. There's a better way, lets take a look…

In the Mossm you linked earlier you have a lot of things going on in the ancestry so your Mossm, to put it in real world terms, is a mutt: http://mossms.com/p/Hunter.beorn/mossm/Agnese/. Below I've compiled a list of the ancestors traits for your Mossm. Each of those traits were thrown into a pool and one was drawn for each trait slot from the pot at the time of birth. There are so many traits in the pool that the outcome is impossible to guess.

DNA Scan: darkgrey-skin
DNA Scan: pink-skin
DNA Scan: violet-skin-darkblue-skin-gradient
DNA Scan: pink-longfur
DNA Scan: lightblue-curly
DNA Scan: lightblue-longfur-darkgrey-skin-gradient
DNA Scan: violet-longfur
DNA Scan: pink-longfur
DNA Scan: violet-skin
DNA Scan: darkblue-longfur-white-longfur-tiger
DNA Scan: yellowgreen-skin-white-skin-tiger
DNA Scan: white-longfur-darkblue-longfur-cheetah
DNA Scan: yellowgreen-longfur-white-skin-tiger
DNA Scan: lightblue-skin-yellowgreen-skin-gradient
DNA Scan: yellowgreen-skin-darkblue-longfur-tiger
Planet Modifier: Gradient

In contrast I've compiled a list of ancestor traits for one of my Mossms. As you can see, it has nothing but white and black zebra in the ancestry: http://mossms.com/p/Asymmetrical/mossm/Janice/. Just like yours above, each of these traits are thrown into the pot and one was drawn for each trait slot at the time of birth. There are not very many different traits in my pool so the outcome is highly predictable.

DNA Scan: darkgrey-skin-white-skin-zebra
Planet Modifier: Black-Moonstars

In summary, the name of the game (so to speak) is removing the variables from the DNA pool. The more similar things you have in your ancestry the more likely you are produce things that you want. It is work - I will not deny that - but its very predictable and very controllable. I hope that helps you, Hunter.

Mrs Hunter Beorn
July 20, 2013
10 years, 9 months ago
Edited 10 years, 9 months ago by Mrs Hunter Beorn

Wow thank you!! I need to read that like 5 more times lol Yes a mutt, like Lyns

http://mossms.com/p/Lyn.pinazzo/mossm/Kelsey/

It made a cheetah on planet 1, I have been using more chaos in my lines like that. I see what you are saying and that will take alot more patience. Thank you for explaining that, I understand it better. I think I am going to try grabbing some new starters and applying what I have learned so far. Thanks again :)

Wait, what the heck is a starter? Like You popped a zebra on Blackstarlight with white and black. Does that mean your starter is white and the other black? Where did zebra even come from? I know you can mess with them as a creator but for everyone else, are starters just anything and everything made? Would it be fair to say that anything under the actual planet can pop from a starter?

Cilia
July 20, 2013
10 years, 9 months ago

Asymmetrical, you do a very good job of describing real life animal breeding in "layman's" terms. There is one aspect of Mossms that is quite different however, and that is the restricted breeding. No breeder of real life animals for shows or competition would exclude the possibility of line breeding and sometimes even inbreeding to eliminate undesirable traits in favor of desirable traits. So, while having a greatly simplified inheritance scheme than live animals, Mossms are seemingly more difficult to breed "pure". It is not so tough when you are a creator and can circumvent all the rules :). I do recognize that with the simplified inheritance that exists in Mossms, line breeding and inbreeding would likely make it far to easy, which would also not be a good result.

You must login to reply.